Monday, May 10, 2010

Rome

My limo and driver were at Fiumicino airport to pick me up and drive (quickly) to my modest hotel, not far from Termini stazione, and on the second floor. My room is about 3m x 4m, with a single bed, plus wardrobe and ensuite.... but every possible thing I could need, including marble tiled floor, HD TV, desk, lights with functining globes, hot water etc.

I took the #40 bus from Termini to my favourite spot in all Rome, the Pantheon. I got off near the Vittorio Emanuele bridge, and wandered the old windey streets, pedestraians only (sort of), eventually reaching Piazza Navona. Unfortunately Bernini's fountain covered by white safety boarding as it's being restored. After a gelato, a side street leads to the Pantheon. It was raining lightly all afternoon. I put on my attractive blue plastic raincoat from the $1 shop, immediately identifying myself as a straniera: no Italian woman would reduce herself to such comfortable practical attire. Not "una bella figura".

The Pantheon exterior is presently half covered in scaffolding, but the half that can still be seen is grand and somewhat awe inspiring. No charge to enter today.... lots of people, some there obviously to evade the rain. With the large round hole in the roof, of course the rain came in, so a largish space in the middle of the floor was cordoned off, and for the first time I noticed small holes in parts of the floor for drainage, amomgst the beautiful mosaics. Raphael's tomb, Vittorio Emmanuel's grand tomb, and the fabulous ceiling with the light and shadows making it look even more spectacular... will put a few photos up on the blog when I get a chance.. not able to now, sitting in my hotel room without correct facilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment